Well that was the plan anyway. After finishing up my Swing Dress, I found myself with more free time than usual on the sewing front and a strong desire for a quick project. After flipping through many a cute pattern I settled on the Milkmaid Skirt, and whipped it together this weekend. (I actually finished it yesterday, poetically enough making it, in fact, a skirt for spring!)
Of course, this weekend’s glorious sunny weather — which gave rise to thoughts of actually daring to plant seeds in my outdoor beds — has since given way to the pattern of springs past. Ah, Ontario. Planting seeds outdoors in March indeed. What was I thinking? At least I got a skirt out of it.
Now, if you actually read the pattern, you might notice that Adrianna comments that her instructions are for a child’s skirt. A toddler-aged child. Was that about to stop me? Nope! This skirt was super-fast to sew up for a lot of reasons: bias tape hems and pocket edgings, elastic waist (at the back), only two measurements and a lot of winging it! There is no sophisticated shaping in this skirt (what? no darts?!) but you know what, it was totally satisfying, and aside from wishing I’d made the elastic at the back shorter (it sits a little low on my hips, I think), as well as maybe wishing I’d flared the skirt out more at the hem, I have no regrets about this skirt.
One of the things that makes me happiest about it is the fabric. Isn’t it cute? Check out the little hearts in the flowers! Now, I’m a winter; peachey orange and steel blue really aren’t my colours. In spite of that however, I’ve been hanging on to this (pretty sheer) fabric for years — pretty close to 10 years now! — waiting for the right project for it. Way back when I actually took a sewing class at a community college, this fabric was given to me by my aunt. Since I have my Aunt Edith to thank for any pattern-drafting skills I have today, it seemed disrespectful to just not use the fabric but… well, the texture of it was a little like tightly-woven cheesecloth with a pattern printed on it. And it wasn’t in my colours. Tricky. So it waited in the stash.
Also waiting in my stash? Just big enough pieces of orange and blue microfibre (don’t ask). They were way too bright and garish to use on their own… but as an underlining for this fabric? Perfect! The colours matched up better than I could have hoped for, and now the inside of my skirt is silky smooth (oh hush up about my unfinished edges). Clearly this was a skirt intended by Fate.
(Not sure if it shows, but while I underlined the skirt with the orange, I did the waistband in blue. I felt I should mirror the blue in the bias tape somehow, I guess. I liked how it turned out anyway!)
So now I have myself a fun new skirt — I kept thinking I needed some less “work”-y skirts in my wardrobe! — that has pockets (no Casey, you’re not alone there!) and every time I wear it, it’ll make me smile and think of my aunt. A very auspicious start for spring!
Now if the weather would just hurry up and match my skirt…