It hasn’t only been about the vegetables around here, you know. We’ve been working on other stuff too, as I’d mentioned previously.
What else has been keeping us busy? A pretty big number of projects, most of which (finally!) have actual visible results. It’s been so much this past two years of working on stuff which was either not visible (e.g. electrical wiring changes, any work up in the attic, creating a tidy communications cupboard) or was visible but not pretty (e.g. tearing out the wall, rebuilding a window header, re-insulating, replacing drywall, etc.) that it’s nice to have something you can actually point to (or better still, have folks notice on their own!) and people don’t just make puzzled “ohhh… that’s nice” comments about it.
I guess I’m saying that while there is always satisfaction in completing a project that you know needed to be done, there is nonetheless a part of the human psyche that also needs the validation of other people agreeing that Wow! You finished that project! Go you!
So what did we finish? After a good 2 and a half years in the house, The Boy and I finally got around to painting a room (well, two rooms). Sadly, I have no real “before” pictures, because they’re on an external hard drive that I’m too lazy to rummage up and connect to, so you’ll have to settle for the already-gutted, primed “before” of the living/dining rooms, but here it is, complete with kitty assistants:
(If you look really closely at the ceiling line in the bottom right picture, you can sort of see the faded yellow colour the room used to be. Anyway.)
Note the horrific fleshy tone of the primer. Look familiar? Before priming, in fact, before most of the all-new gyproc on the external walls, the room had been a sort of drab, faded yellow. A common colour, very neutral, but very blah to me.
So blah were these rooms, in fact, that I was ecstatic to see that horrid pink on the walls. I was so excited to see colour in the room, that I actually turned to The Boy and informed him that if — due to our somewhat insane travel schedules around that time — we weren’t able to paint for another month, that would be okay. I was so happy to see some actual colour on the walls, that I barely minded that it was a horrible puke pink.
…happily it wasn’t a month before we painted. I’m not quite sure my excitement would have carried me through that long.
The Boy, in a fit of madness, had decided that, being a guy, he wouldn’t see the wall colour after two weeks anyway, and thus let me have free reign with my colour choices. Approximately 8 months after moving into the place, this led me to run amok with paint chips, taping up between 6 and 14 in each room and slowly whittling down the colour choices to one or two.
The chosen colour for the living and dining rooms? Orange. (Or, as The Boy said at one point during a crisis of faith while we were painting the dining room, “Really, really orange.”)
It had always been my plan to sponge gold paint over the orange in the dining room, but due to a combination of other happenings, we also ended up painting that room a darker shade of orange. Fun!
Other updates? The photo above shows the dining room with a gloriously re-finished floor. (I’m not sure what we’d do without Varathane in our household; it’s toxic, but so effective!) Less than a week later, the floor was promptly scuffed, drooled on and caked with mud by the arrival of The Boy’s family: namely the three children and three dogs that tagged along. In fairness, the visiting adults had a negligible effect on its shininess. Having since cleaned again, the floor looks fine, so I suppose it was for the best!
Also in evidence in the photos above is the light fixture I snagged at a garage sale for $5 which replaces (finally!) the horrid glass salad bowl-style light fixture that came with the house. * shudder * How I hated that thing — off to ReStore it goes!
Now, I’m no Kate, but I was still pretty proud of myself for restoring a somewhat dusty, brassy (ugh) fixture to something that I quite like. (For those of you who know her, I even used spray paint!) I do think we need a longer chain on the thing (which makes The Boy wince, because it also means somehow extending the electrical cord) so we can swag it away from the wall a little further but — as I’ve learned with every single project we’ve undertaken — one step at a time.
At some point, we’ll whip some baseboards ’round the room, and then gabble a bit about crown mouldings. At the moment, The Boy is up to his elbows on Yet Another Project, but that will have to wait for another post…